Monday, September 10, 2012

Penny Black Mini Cards

I read about the Penny Black Mini Card Contest a couple of days ago, but my weekend was so busy that I didn't get round to creating an entry for the contest over the weekend and was reluctantly going to give it a miss. Fortunately, with the time difference between Australia & US, the contest didn't close until Monday 5pm AEST (12am PST). At 3pm Monday afternoon, with just under 2 hours to go, I decided to try and quickly get an entry in.

I quickly scanned through my stamp stash, trying to decide what to use, when I came across this cute little  set:

30-103 ...wishes

I've had this stamp set in my stash for some time, but only ever used the little sentiments out of it. I decided to give them a go and after a bit of experimenting, this is what I came up with. They were pretty quick and easy to do, and once I made the first one, I was able to knock together the remaining 3 cards in quick succession.


Supplies:
Penny Black 30-103 ... wishes
Versafine Onyx Black
Stickles Glitter Glue - Crystal
Red Card: Picked Raspberry, Fired Brick & Spun Sugar Distress Ink
Green Card: Shabby Shutters & Crushed Olive Distress Ink
Orange Card: Dried Marigold, Ripe Persimmon & Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink
Yellow Card: Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade & Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink
Ink blending tools & mini daubers
Circle punches - 1-1/2" & 40mm

1) To start, I masked off a small piece of white card with scrap card, leaving a 2cm panel. For the red card, I first sponged on Picked Raspberry distress ink, then applied some Fired Brick on the edges.
2) I trimmed the card to the correct size, stamped on the sentiment in the top corner, and attached to a small red card.
3) The flower stamp was inked with Versafine Onyx Black and stamped onto white card. A little bit of Spun Sugar and Picked Raspberry distress inks were added to the flowers with a dauber. This was then punched with a 1-1/2" circle punch and layered onto a red circle punchie (40mm), and stuck on the card with foam tape. A little Stickles was added to the image to finish.
4) The finished card size, approximate 3'x4"

Once the 4 cards were finished, I quickly photographed them (taking care not to smudge the Stickles, which were still a bit wet), uploaded them to my computer and did minor "photoshop" adjustments to the pictures (I use my iPhone 3 to photograph them and unfortunately this model doesn't have a flash, so my pictures inevitably are always a bit dark, so I have to "brighten" them on the computer). Realising I had less than 10mins to go until the deadline, I frantically uploaded them to my Flickr, then to the Penny Black Flickr Group (Penny Circle). Whew! Done, with 2 minutes to spare!! Talk about a close one!!

Here are a couple of close-ups of the cards:








1 comment:

Elizabeth Allan said...

These "minis" are beautiful Mel. When I read your post I was expecting that you were going to get 1 card done, but you made 4!!! Wow!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...