Friday, October 7, 2011

Penny Black Collage Card Challenge

This week on the Penny Black Blog, the Card Challenge is to create a Collage card. I have to admit, I don't own very many collage stamps as they are not really my usual style, but I do love Penny Black 4182K butterfly suite.
To create this first card, I stamped butterfly suite with Memento Rich Cocoa onto white cardstock. I then trimmed the piece to size, so it measured 9.5cmx12cm (approx 3-3/4"x4-3/4"). I then cut it into 4 equal strips (measuring 9.5cmx3cm each). I distressed each piece with a mix of Scattered Straw, Brushed Corduroy & Walnut Stain distress ink. I then attached the strips to another piece of white card, and lightly distressed around it. I stamped the 2 butterflies on a scrap piece of card, distressed with Mustard Seed distress ink, and cut out. They were stuck to the card with Glossy Accents. The paper flowers were also distressed with a mix of distress inks to achieve the right colour and attached to the card with a brad. Some distress stickles were added to the flower image, and clear stickles added to the butterflies. A ribbon, some twine, a few rhinestones & a Die-namics Fancy Flourish diecut were added to finish the card.
This creation of this card is pretty similar to the first card, but I stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black, and cut the piece into 6 strips. Each strip was individually distressed with two matching colours of Distress ink (eg. the blue piece was done with Tumbled Glass & Broken China, the purple piece with Milled Lavender & Dustry Concord etc) to create a rainbow palette. The strips were then attached to a piece of black card leaving a thin border. I then sprayed it lightly with Smooch Spritz Vanilla Shimmer and attached to a piece of lavender card. The coloured backing was created by sticking scrap strips of coloured cardstock onto a black card blank. Coloured buttons were threaded onto black yarn, and the yarn stuck to the back of the card with sticky tape. I adjusted the spacing of the buttons until I was happy, then stuck each one down with foam tape so that they won't move on the card. The sentiment is from a 7 Gypsies Librarie stamp.

3 comments:

Sue McRae said...

Both designs are fabulous but I'm partial to the vintage feel of the first one.

78thistles said...

Such a pretty job on both your cards! Love sectioning a stamped image like you've done with both cards. Also, thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your nice comments. Truly appreciated!

Elizabeth Allan said...

Mel the paneled design on each of the cards add a wonderful touch to the collage. Fabulous rich brown and gold tones on the first and bright and happy rainbow colors on the second.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...